Service Sector, At-Large
Stellar North LLC
Member of Board of Directors AFDF since 2013. John was born into a Norwegian immigrant fishing family in Ketchikan. His earliest lessons in life were deck handing for his father on the troller Ann rolling in the swells off Duke Island. These roots have sustained his lifelong desire to foster a fishing industry in Alaska that supports Alaskan families and communities. John worked in a unique mixture of business and public policy arenas over the past 40 years.
John has had the opportunity to be involved in several major careers.
- Five years in private law practice.
- Seven years in the legislative arena: three years in a staff position and four years as an elected Representative in the Alaska legislature.
- Five years as President and CEO of Waterfall Group. It is a company that managed a 60 room hotel, restaurant and bar, commercial retail property, air taxi and built and managed Waterfall Resort. A large remote salt water fishing resort in southeast Alaska.
- Sixteen years, as a founding partner of Silver Lining Seafoods, officer, Board member and Vice President of NorQuest Seafoods, a seafood processing business that grew from a start up to sales over $100 million.
- Sixteen years as President of Stellar North LLC, with a focus on assisting small business owners and nonprofit associations build their organizations and business opportunities.
- Member AFDF board of directors since 2013.
John has a B.A. Degree from Western Washington University and a Juris Doctor LLB from Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College. He is married with two grown children. When he’s not working with small business leaders or leading policy initiatives to create economical and environmentally sustainable activities he likes to explore, kayak, and fish around Alaska and the northern latitudes.