Become a Member Today!
Please consider becoming a member of the Alaska Fisheries Development Foundation (AFDF).Member support of AFDF is an integral part of the only statewide organization which focuses on research and development issues for the seafood industry.The list of challenges and opportunities is long, but exciting!
Highlights of AFDF’s recent work include the following:
- Alaska Symphony of Seafood – 29th annual event in 2022 – Over 400 unique products entered during 20 successful years of encouraging the development of new products made with Alaska seafood
- Energy efficiency & alternative energy – Fishing Vessel Energy Audit Pilot Project – Over 40 vessels were audited between 2013 and 2017 resulting in the Fishing Vessel Energy Analysis Tool (FVEAT). The FVEAT combines data you enter with measurements from Alaskan vessels participating in commercial troll, longline, seine, gillnet, and pot fisheries to generate an energy use profile specific to your vessel.
- Sustainability Certifications - AFDF is actively involved in seafood sustainability certification as clients on behalf of industry participants and is the Client for the MSC and RFM certification of Alaska cod and the MSC and RFM certification of Alaska salmon.
- Fish waste and by-product development – sponsorship of “Innovation Summit 2014” with guest speaker Thor Sigfuson, from the Iceland Ocean Cluster
- Alaska Mariculture Initiative – Mariculture is an unrealized potential in Alaska that could provide significant economic benefits to fishermen, processors, farmers, support businesses & coastal communities. AFDF is committed to the identification of hurdles & solutions for increased seafood production through mariculture (enhancement, restoration and aquatic farming of shellfish and marine plants).
Your membership helps AFDF continue this important work which benefits your long term business and community interests. In addition to AFDF’s work, you will also receive the membership benefits listed in the Membership Application. Annual membership terms are January-December.